Town of Dewey
September 12, 2023
Town Board Meeting Minutes
1. Meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Chairman Duane Johnson. Others present were Supervisors Steve Dahlstrom and Gary Crosby, Treasurer Donna Meeds, and David Coon, who was appointed Clerk during meeting. Also present were 4 town residents *.
2. Resignation of Town Clerk: Motion by Dahlstrom to accept the resignation of Rochelle Becker as Town Clerk. Crosby seconded. Motion carried.
3. Appointment of new Town Clerk: Motion by Crosby that Town Clerk should be appointed through the next spring election in 2025. Seconded by Dahlstrom. Motion Caried. Motion by Crosby to appoint David Coon as new Town Clerk. Dahlstrom seconded. Motion carried and David Coon appointed as Town Clerk.
4. The minutes of the August 8, 2023 town board meeting were read and approved on a Crosby/Dahlstrom motion. Motion carried.
5. The Treasurers’ report was read and, on a Crosby/Dahlstrom motion, was approved.
6. The Financial review was conducted to the extent available during the current time of transition.
7. Public Comment:
Chairman Johnson noted that Frank Taylor, who had proposed building storage units, has withdrawn his application with the County.
Carl Thomfohrda, insurance agent, appeared to discuss the renewed Rural Mutual Insurance policy for the Township. Recommendations were made and discussed to make updates to the policy. Mr. Thomfohrda was advised of the new mower head, new plow truck and the new voting machine to be updated on the policy. Discussions were had to increase the deductible on the buildings, increase the building coverage by $20,000, purchase cosmetic damage coverage for the buildings, and add towing insurance. Follow up will be made regarding any deductible applicable to the towing insurance.
8. Purchase of town plow truck and payment: After an initial bid was rejected, an agreement was made with the Town of Bashaw to purchase their plow truck for $35,000. A Motion was made by Dahlstrom and seconded by Crosby to purchase the truck from the Town of Bashaw for $35,000. Motion carried.
9. Road Maintenance report by Mark Melton. The new mower head is working well. Discussions were had about the status of Williams Road and the status of the next state payment for Transportation aid. Discussions were also had about the sale of road gravel and making sure payments are made. Information will be sought regarding payments received so far in 2023. The clerk will inquire with Burnett County about a car counter to be installed on Poquette Lake Road near Oak Road.
10. Monthly correspondence reviewed.
11. Approval of monthly expenditures. Motion by Dahlstrom to approve checks #10401 to #10420 in the amount of $60,013.18, with the exception that check #10420 for the payment of the plow truck will be held until funds are made available by the bank. Crosby seconded. Motion carried.
12. October 10, 2023 was set for the next Board Meeting.
13. Meeting was adjourned at 8:25pm on a Dahlstrom/Crosby motion. Motion carried.
*Mark Melton, Esther Bernecker, Rudy & Sharon Kessler